Heading west towards the mountains, Richard met up with his brother John, who had been freighting supplies to the Morley Indians to the West. They settled in the Jumping Pound region, 15 miles West of the Calgary city limit as it is today. The country reminded them of Ireland and it is here that the Copithorne homestead was founded.
The brothers formed a partnership and worked a mixed farm. There was no money then, so they traded their churned butter, hauling it 25 miles to Calgary. Eventually, the brothers built up a range herd, primarily consisting of Durham cattle, with a lazy J as their registered brand In 1895, Richard went out on his own to register the present day CL brand.
|Home ||| SuperCross
Cattle ||| Sussex Cattle ||| Cattle Sales
CL Ventures ||| Opportunities||| Ranch History ||| Links ||| Contact Us
Content & Photo © Copyright : CL Ranches Ltd.
1999-2008 © Website by Cowboy Oriented Web Sites